After the bell, shares added 8% to $48.
The Houston-based company reported net sales 20.8% higher year over year in the three months to Jan. 28. Revenue of $312.1 million was in line with consensus, according to analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters, while comparable-store sales jumped 6.5%.
Adjusted net income of 30 cents a share was a penny higher than analysts had forecast."Given this solid performance in a challenging environment, we are confident in our ability to effectively navigate the ever-changing consumer landscape while delivering value to our customers and shareholders," said CEO Steve Stagner in a report. "As we move ahead, we remain committed to our strategy of driving sales, which led to 6.5% comparable-store sales growth during the fourth fiscal quarter." For the current year ending Feb. 3, 2015, management upwardly revised its revenue guidance to between $1.46 billion and $1.52 billion, from prior guidance of $1.38 billion to $1.43 billion. Analysts had predicted $1.41 billion in sales. Fiscal 2015 earnings guidance of $1.88 to $2 a share is in line with estimates for $1.90 a share. Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates MATTRESS FIRM HOLDING CORP as a Hold with a ratings score of C. The team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate MATTRESS FIRM HOLDING CORP (MFRM) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed -- some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, solid stock price performance and growth in earnings per share. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including generally higher debt management risk, disappointing return on equity and weak operating cash flow."
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: MFRM Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV