NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Newmont Mining Corp
(NEM) were up for the second day in a row following the company's announcement that it had sold its 5.4% equity interest in Paladin Energy.
According to Newmont's Executive VP of Strategic Development Randy Engel, the sale will bring in over $24 million in cash, continuing the company's pledge of "divestment of non core assets". "Newmont will continue to evaluate its holdings and may, from time to time, divest other equity positions and assets under favorable conditions and terms," Engel said.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Stocks
Newmont obtained its stake in Paladin through a block sale agreement with UBS Australia in 2011.
The Colorado based gold and copper producer was up 1.88% to $25.48 as of the closing bell Thursday.
TheStreet Ratings team rates NEWMONT MINING CORP as a Sell with a ratings score of D+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:"We rate NEWMONT MINING CORP (NEM) a SELL. This is driven by multiple weaknesses, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity, weak operating cash flow, generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself and feeble growth in its earnings per share." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 273.3% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $673.00 million to -$1,166.00 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market, NEWMONT MINING CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to $382.00 million or 54.63% when compared to the same quarter last year. In conjunction, when comparing current results to the industry average, NEWMONT MINING CORP has marginally lower results.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 37.70%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 280.00% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- NEWMONT MINING CORP has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, NEWMONT MINING CORP swung to a loss, reporting -$5.06 versus $3.78 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.85 versus -$5.06).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: NEM Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.