Trade-Ideas: Furiex Pharmaceuticals (FURX) Is Today's "Dead Cat Bounce" Stock
- FURX has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $18.1 million.
- FURX has traded 126,680 shares today.
- FURX is up 3.5% today.
- FURX was down 5.7% yesterday.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in FURX with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for FURX NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on FURX: Furiex Pharmaceuticals, Inc., a drug development company, engages in the compound partnering business primarily in the United States. It collaborates with pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies to enhance the value of their drug candidates by applying its novel approach to drug development. Currently there are 3 analysts that rate Furiex Pharmaceuticals a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold. The average volume for Furiex Pharmaceuticals has been 277,000 shares per day over the past 30 days. Furiex has a market cap of $953.3 million and is part of the services sector and diversified services industry. The stock has a beta of 1.51 and a short float of 11.5% with 4.18 days to cover. Shares are up 117.9% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Furiex Pharmaceuticals as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its unimpressive growth in net income, disappointing return on equity, weak operating cash flow and generally high debt management risk. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Life Sciences Tools & Services industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 164.3% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$3.29 million to -$8.68 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Life Sciences Tools & Services industry and the overall market, FURIEX PHARMACEUTICALS INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$17.07 million or 96.95% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 2.53 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company. Regardless of the company's weak debt-to-equity ratio, FURX has managed to keep a strong quick ratio of 1.83, which demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- FURX, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 12.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 0.2%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- You can view the full Furiex Pharmaceuticals Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.