By late afternoon, shares had taken off 5.4% to $10.56.
Trading volume of 1.2 million was nearly double its three-month daily average.
San Deiego-based Senomyx recorded a net loss of 8 cents a share, 2 cents wider than analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters had anticipated.Revenue of $7.41 million was short expectations for $7.81 million, and 9.6% lower than a year earlier. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. On Tuesday, shares soared after the company's Sweetmyx ingredient, a flavoring which maintains sweetness in reduced-sugar foods and beverages, was determined to be Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) by U.S. regulatory Food and Drug Administration (FDA). PepsiCo (PEP) has exclusive rights to use the flavor worldwide in all non-alcohol beverages. "Senomyx is starting 2014 well-positioned for commercial growth and continued achievements with our R&D and regulatory efforts," said CEO John Poyhonen in a statement. For fiscal 2014, management expects revenue between $32 million and $35 million with a net loss of 23 cents to 28 cents a share. Analysts forecast revenue of $35.45 million and a net loss of 15 cents a share. Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV