DUBLIN, Ohio, March 13, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- According to a recent study conducted by Safe Kids Worldwide, more than 67,000 children were treated in emergency departments for medicine poisoning in 2011. The increased accessibility of prescription and over-the-counter medicines, coupled with children's natural curiosity, makes it important to educate today's youth in medication safety at an early age.
To address the topic of medication safety head on and in time for National Poison Prevention Week – March 16-22, 2014, The Cardinal Health Foundation and The Ohio State University College of Pharmacy introduced the Medication Safety toolkit, the fifth in a series of interactive toolkits designed to help reduce the abuse of prescription drugs. The Medication Safety toolkit is designed to arm parents, teachers, organizational leaders and health professionals across the country with the necessary resources to discuss the issue of medication safety with elementary-aged children.
"We are excited to provide our communities with this versatile collection of engaging activities that help educate today's youth about how to safely use and store medicine," said Molly Downing, Ph.D., fellow, Pharmacology Education and Outreach at The Ohio State University College of Pharmacy. "Whether you are a parent, teacher, organizational leader or health professional, this toolkit equips adults with the necessary resources to discuss this important issue with children before they enter their teen and adult years."
The Medication Safety toolkit was created by The Ohio State University College of Pharmacy faculty, staff, and students, in collaboration with local elementary schools. The toolkit includes materials appropriate for elementary-aged children grades K-5. The materials focus on four medication safety principles:
- Only take medicine given by a trusted adult.
- Do not share medication or take someone else's medication.
- Keep medications in their original containers to avoid confusion with candy or other medicines.
- Always store medicine in a safe place, such as a locked cabinet or a high shelf that children cannot reach.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV