"There have been significant changes over the past eight years. One big change is accessibility. IT didn't always have an equal seat at the table. Now, my peers are far more tech savvy," Nick Smither, CIO of Ford Motor Company told IBM as part of the study research.
Getting the basics right has become table stakes for CIOs looking to push their enterprise forward with new engagement and technology delivery platforms. In fact, 66 percent of CIOs believe their IT departments have mastered the basics of technology within their firms. This investment in knowledge and skills is freeing up CIOs to look at new platforms that enable them to build a "Customer-Activated" enterprise.
As customer engagement becomes a critical driver for CIOs, cloud computing has soared in importance with 64 percent of CIOs naming it as part of their visionary plans compared to 30 percent in 2009. Likewise, mobility solutions have also experienced a similar jump in importance with 84 percent saying it's their top focus compared to 68 percent in 2009. With these as a main driver, two-thirds of CIOs are now exploring how to better serve and collaborate with customers using cloud computing and social networking tools.
About the IBM 2013 Global C-Suite StudyIBM conducted its in-person analysis with more than 4,000 C-suite leaders by using a global team of business strategists, consultants, data scientists and statisticians. More information about the IBM Institute for Business Value (IBV) can be found here. Access the full CIO Study findings here. Download the IBM IBV app on your Android or iOS tablet. Flickr Infographic To read more on this topic, go to Peter J. Korsten's story on the Smarter Planet blog. Join the conversation on Twitter at #CSuiteStudy and #IBM. Follow us @IBMIBV
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV