In the fourth-quarter, Samsung and China-based Xiaomi, made the most popular phones sold in China, with those two companies manufacturing all of the top ten selling devices for the year. Six out of the ten were Samsung models.
By the end of last year, Samsung controlled the market with its products accounted for a total of 24% of all Android devices in use at that time. Many local companies such as Lenovo, Huawei, Oppo and ZTE continued to do battle with other international manufactures in China's marketplace. With numbers combined they command the overwhelming majority of Android products currently in use.
While 4G services are just beginning to be rolled-out in the Chinese market most smartphones use 2G and 3G connections to wireless services. The newest comer is Wi-fi. In 2013, Wi-fi jumped from 38% of all mobile data connections to 52% by year's end. Government-imposed tariffs on mobile data use have an affect on overall usage.
The survey found that buyers of lower-priced models (below $159) tend to spend more time playing games on their devices and love purchasing special themes wallpapers. High-end device buyers spend their time (and money) using applications for news, navigation, finance and e-commerce.
--Written by Gary Krakow in New York.
To submit a news tip, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV