- Smile Communications has commercially launched a 4G/LTE network in West Africa in Lagos, Nigeria.
- Users will enjoy an improved smartphone experience, with faster web browsing and downloads, and better network performance.
- Ericsson is the primary vendor for the LTE network based on the multi-standard RBS 6000 family of base stations and AIR Antennas, MINI-LINK microwave transmission, as well as the Evolved Packet Core.
STOCKHOLM, Sweden, March 13, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Smile Communications has announced the launch of a 4G/LTE network on 800 MHz spectrum in Ibadan and Lagos, both in Nigeria. In Ibadan, commercial services were launched in February 2013, making Smile Communications the first to launch this LTE technology in West Africa. In Lagos commercial services were launched on February 19, 2014, offering an improved mobile broadband experience based on LTE technologies to subscribers. More locations across the country will follow soon.
Ericsson (Nasdaq:ERIC) is the primary vendor for the LTE radio network, leveraging the multi-standard RBS 6000 family of base stations and the compact and fully integrated AIR (Antenna Integrated Radio) Antennas, deployed in West Africa for the first time. Ericsson is also providing a complete Evolved Packet Core network including Evolved Packet Gateway and Mobility Management Entity.
Tom Allen, Smile Group Chief Operating Officer says: "At Smile Communications, we seek to deliver affordable, high-quality and easy-to-use broadband internet access and communications services to our customers and in Nigeria, Ericsson is helping us do this. With successful commercial operations since 2013, we are very excited to formally announce today the commencement of our services and the beginning of a cross-country roll-out. We are starting in Lagos and will lay our footprints in other major cities across the country shortly.Smile Communications and Ericsson have a 3-year network deployment agreement to develop over 1,100 LTE sites across the country. Under the terms of this agreement, Ericsson is responsible for the project management, system integration, interoperability testing, network design and implementation.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts