NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Krispy Kreme Doughnuts
(KKD) closed the day up 2.4% ahead of its fourth-quarter earnings report. Immediately following the earnings release, the shares skyrocketed 8.7% to $19.88.
Krispy Kreme reported that same-store sales increased for the twenty-first consecutive quarter by 1.6%. When excluding the costly refranchising of six stores, total revenue increased by 4.3% and profits climbed to $14.8 million, or 21 cents a share.
Krispy Kreme also announced expansion into the Asian market with the first of 35 planned stores opening in India, the first of 50 planned stores opening in Taiwan and the first of 23 new stores opening in China's bustling Guandong Province.
Must read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Stocks
Krispy Kreme has seen its shares move at least 15% in four of the last five quarters following the filing of its earnings reports. The Doughnut and coffee retailer has seen success recently despite stiff competition from rivals Dunkin' Donuts (DNKN) and Starbucks (SBUX).
TheStreet Ratings team rates KRISPY KREME DOUGHNUTS INC as a Buy with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:"We rate KRISPY KREME DOUGHNUTS INC (KKD) a BUY. This is driven by several positive factors, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, reasonable valuation levels, solid stock price performance and increase in net income. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat disappointing return on equity." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 5.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 6.7%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- KKD's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.01 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 28.57% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 28.83% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, KKD should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and greatly outperformed compared to the Hotels, Restaurants & Leisure industry average. The net income increased by 34.4% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $5.04 million to $6.78 million.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: KKD Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV