SAN DIEGO, March 12, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- General Dynamics NASSCO today delivered the USNS John Glenn (MLP 2), the second ship of the Mobile Landing Platform (MLP) class, to the U.S. Navy. The ship is named after the Honorable John Glenn for his exceptional and decorated service as a U.S. Marine Corps pilot, astronaut and U.S. Senator.
Construction of the USNS John Glenn began in April 2012. Throughout the MLP program, NASSCO has incorporated more than 10,000 improvement ideas into its operations which contributed to controlling costs and delivering the MLP 2 on schedule with no open discrepancies. The 785-foot-long auxiliary ship will serve as a floating base for amphibious operations, and operate as a transfer point between large ships and small landing craft.
"This is a great day for the NASSCO, Navy and Military Sealift Command team," said Fred Harris, president of General Dynamics NASSCO. "We are delivering this ship with the quality, innovation and capability needed to support the future missions of the nation's fleet and uniformed men and women around the world."
NASSCO is currently building the third ship of the class, MLP 3, which will be configured as an Afloat Forward Staging Base (AFSB). It is scheduled for undocking in November and delivery in the second quarter of 2015.More information about NASSCO, a business unit of General Dynamics (NYSE: GD), can be found at www.nassco.com. More information about General Dynamics is available at www.generaldynamics.com. SOURCE General Dynamics NASSCO
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV