By midafternoon, shares had plunged 5.5% to $7.54.
The intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance technology developer reported revenue 10.6% lower year over year to $235.7 million in the three months to December. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters had forecast $251.73 million.
Net income of 6 cents a share came in as expected."Fiscal 2013 was difficult for U.S. Federal Government contractors and for Kratos, with little budgetary clarity throughout the entire year. However, though the environment remains very challenging, there is now a federal budget agreement and a fiscal 2014 Defense Appropriations Bill in place, somewhat reducing the magnitude and random across the board cuts of Sequestration and providing some funding predictability to our largest customer set," said Kratos CEO Eric DeMarco in a statement. "Since the execution of these budgetary agreements, we have seen our opportunities, bookings and order flow increase, providing us greater confidence for 2014." Must read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates KRATOS DEFENSE & SECURITY as a Hold with a ratings score of C-. The team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate KRATOS DEFENSE & SECURITY (KTOS) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed -- some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. Among the primary strengths of the company is its solid stock price performance. At the same time, however, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and poor profit margins."
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: KTOS Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV