NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- I was talking to Jim Cramer about the drop in domestic oil prices under $100. I believe this drop represents an opportunity.
Several separate incidents have conspired to drop WTI crude price in the last three days.
There's been a bond default in China, putting Chinese demand in doubt. On Wednesday the Energy Information Administration reported increasing stockpiles for the third straight week in the U.S. and there's been a moderation in the anxiety surrounding the Ukraine crisis.
Finally, a "test" of the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, adding five million barrels of sour crude to the market, began Wednesday. All have combined to push prices for oil here in the United States under $100.
But I told Jim I believe oil will not make a new low in 2014 and that Brent prices, which are the real-world benchmark for global oil, remain steady despite all of these pressures. With the many oil stocks in U.S. exploration and production companies reeling, I think we have an opportunity to buy some shares when they're moderately "on sale."If the charts hold, then WTI oil should not trade below $94 before finding an interim bottom, despite the free-falling trade of other commodities that China depends upon, including copper. That makes companies like Anadarko Petroleum (APC), EOG Resources (EOG) and Noble Energy (NBL) relatively good value here. I talk more with Jim about oil in the video above. At the time of publication the author had a position APC and NBL. Follow @dan_dicker This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV