NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- EMC
(EMC), the world's largest provider of data storage systems, may be geared to get even bigger as cloud computing becomes more popular, said a new report by MarketsandMarkets.
Shares of EMC rose 1% on Wednesday to $27.10.
According to the report, the hybrid cloud market is expected to reach $16.1 billion this year and $79.54 billion by 2018.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Stocks
A sub-set of the big data space, cloud computing is expected to have a compound annual growth rate of 50% between 2013-2018. Most of this growth will be driven by smartphone, laptop and tablet users becoming more involved in cloud computing.
According to EMC, spending on public and private cloud computing accounted for 5% of IT spending and it expects 40% of big data information to fall within the cloud.
TheStreet Ratings team rates EMC CORP/MA as a Buy with a ratings score of A-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about its recommendation:"We rate EMC CORP/MA (EMC) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, growth in earnings per share, increase in net income, good cash flow from operations and expanding profit margins. Although the company may harbor some minor weaknesses, we feel they are unlikely to have a significant impact on results." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- EMC's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 4.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 10.8%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- EMC CORP/MA has improved earnings per share by 23.1% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, EMC CORP/MA increased its bottom line by earning $1.33 versus $1.23 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.95 versus $1.33).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Computers & Peripherals industry average. The net income increased by 17.5% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $869.92 million to $1,022.00 million.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $2,190.00 million or 15.30% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of -4.13%.
- The gross profit margin for EMC CORP/MA is rather high; currently it is at 69.95%. Regardless of EMC's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 15.29% trails the industry average.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: EMC Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV