NEW YORK (
TheStreet's Jim Cramer, co-manager of the
Action Alerts PLUS portfolio, once called
Ulta Salon, Cosmetics & Fragrances
(ULTA) "the key to this market." But after falling more than 32% from its 52-week highs in November, Cramer said the stock has been out of touch with the market for a while.
The company beat revenue and earnings expectations when it reported late Thursday but guidance was lower than expected, Cramer noted. Usually that would mean the stock would drop. But on Friday shares are up nearly 7%. Why? It reported comparable-store sales could be in the 5% to 7% range, which is very good, Cramer said.
"When anybody sees a comp-store [number] above 5%, they love the stock" he explained.
If investors didn't have a reason to like retail before, they do now. Cramer sees investors gravitating towards domestic retail stocks with 5% or higher comp-sales growth because this sector has "nothing to do with" events in Ukraine or China.Cramer said investors should watch for a bounce in "domestic retail with good numbers and drug stocks" late Friday afternoon into Monday.
- - Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV