Shares of Google were gaining 0.3% to $1203.83 Wednesday.
The Internet giant acquired several assets of Green Throttle including parts, labor, and two co-founders Matt Crowley and Karl Townsend according to a report from PandoDaily. The third co-founder, Charles Huang, who helped create the Guitar Hero franchise of games, maintains ownership of Green Throttle.
Terms of the deal were not disclosed.Green Throttle created an ecosystem of games for Android devices that included a Bluetooth controller. The system let gamers play games from their Android devices on their TV. Arena, the service for accessing the games, was discontinued in November 2012. It was previously rumored that Google is working on an Android-powered TV set-top box that could have a gaming focus. The Green Throttle asset acquisition could help with such a project. Amazon (AMZN) is rumored to have a similar device coming sometime in the near future. Must read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates GOOGLE INC as a Buy with a ratings score of A. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate GOOGLE INC (GOOG) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, solid stock price performance, growth in earnings per share and compelling growth in net income. Although the company may harbor some minor weaknesses, we feel they are unlikely to have a significant impact on results." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- GOOG's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 16.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 16.9%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Although GOOG's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.06 is very low, it is currently higher than that of the industry average. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 4.28, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- Investors have apparently begun to recognize positive factors similar to those we have mentioned in this report, including earnings growth. This has helped drive up the company's shares by a sharp 46.69% over the past year, a rise that has exceeded that of the S&P 500 Index. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, GOOG should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- GOOGLE INC has improved earnings per share by 14.2% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, GOOGLE INC increased its bottom line by earning $36.04 versus $32.47 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($51.96 versus $36.04).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Internet Software & Services industry average. The net income increased by 17.0% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $2,886.00 million to $3,376.00 million.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: GOOG Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV