NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- I was talking to Jim Cramer about the fuel cell companies, their incredible trading action this week, whether the stocks are worthy of investment and if the rally in them can be sustained.
In short, the answer is no.
Share prices in Plug Power (PLUG), Ballard Systems (BLDP) and Fuel Cell (FCEL) have seen shocking gains in the last week; all after, PLUG announced a relatively small purchase of 1,700 units for the distribution centers for Wal-Mart (WMT) this week.
But that small sale has brought in a torrent of day traders into the stocks, looking for a quick score on a rapidly moving share price. Plug Power traded more than 200 million shares on Tuesday and looks ready to trade an equivalent amount Wednesday. The shares have more than a $2 range, which is more than 30% of the market cap. PLUG, BLDP and FCEL have become nothing more than casino stocks.
I owned FCEL for more than 18 months back in 2011, thinking the low price of natural gas and the incentives from a renewable-friendly administration in Washington would mean only good things for the shares. I finally gave up on FCEL and the rest of the sector late in 2012. The fundamentals have hardly changed in their favor since.PLUG has been a public company for 10 years, has lost more than $850 million, has developed no new dependable stream of revenue and is dependent upon government incentives likely not to be renewed when they run out later next year. There's nothing either Jim or I can do except warn people against trading these stocks. But we know that warning is likely to go unheeded. I talk more with Jim about these stocks in the video above. At the time of publication the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @dan_dicker This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV