This Day On The Street
Continue to site
This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration.
Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here

Energy XXI To Acquire EPL Oil & Gas

In addition to utilizing cash on hand to finance the purchase, Energy XXI has obtained commitments to increase its corporate revolver from $1.0875 billion currently to $1.675 billion in conjunction with the acquisition, as well as a $400 million unsecured bridge loan to augment the available revolver if EPL's bonds are repurchased. Energy XXI would anticipate retiring any bridge loan through the future issuance of high-yield notes. Details of financing terms will be disclosed upon completion of any issuances.

"Based on current expectations and market conditions, the acquisition is expected to be immediately accretive to existing Energy XXI shareholders, while offering EPL shareholders a significant premium to recent trading prices in addition to the ability to participate in the future success of the combined company," Schiller said.


The consideration to be received by EPL stockholders is valued at $39.00 per EPL share based on Energy XXI's closing price as of March 11, 2014, representing a 37 percent premium to the 30-day average closing price of EPL shares and a 34 percent premium over the closing price of EPL shares on March 11, 2014. The aggregate consideration will be paid 65 percent in cash and 35 percent in Energy XXI common shares, based on Energy XXI's closing price on March 11, 2014. EPL stockholders will be able to elect, for each EPL share held, either (i) $39.00 in cash, (ii) 1.669 common shares of Energy XXI, or (iii) $25.35 in cash plus 0.584 common shares of Energy XXI. All elections by shareholders will be subject to proration. Upon closing, Energy XXI shareholders are expected to own approximately 77 percent of the combined company and EPL shareholders are expected to own the remaining 23 percent.

Aggregate consideration to EPL shareholders is expected to consist of approximately $1 billion in cash and approximately 23.4 million common shares of Energy XXI. Once the transaction is completed, Schiller will remain chairman and CEO of the combined entity. The headquarters will remain in Houston. One member of EPL's board of directors will join the Energy XXI board of directors upon completion of the transaction, which is subject to shareholder approval at both companies, receipt of regulatory approvals and customary closing conditions. Both the boards of directors of Energy XXI and EPL are unanimously recommending that shareholders vote in favor of the transaction.

3 of 6

Check Out Our Best Services for Investors

Action Alerts PLUS

Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.

Product Features:
  • $2.5+ million portfolio
  • Large-cap and dividend focus
  • Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Quant Ratings

Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.

Product Features:
  • Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
  • Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
  • A custom stock screener
Stocks Under $10

David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.

Product Features:
  • Model portfolio
  • Stocks trading below $10
  • Intraday trade alerts
14-Days Free
Only $9.95
14-Days Free
Dividend Stock Advisor

David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.

Product Features:
  • Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
  • Updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
Trifecta Stocks

Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutiny—quantitative, fundamental and technical analysis—to maximize profit potential and minimize risk.

Product Features:
  • Model Portfolio
  • Intra Day Trade alerts
  • Access to Quant Ratings
Real Money

More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.

Product Features:
  • Access to Jim Cramer's daily blog
  • Intraday commentary and news
  • Real-time trading forums
Only $49.95
14-Days Free
14-Days Free
AAPL $93.74 0.00%
FB $117.58 0.00%
GOOG $693.01 0.00%
TSLA $240.76 0.00%
YHOO $36.60 0.00%


Chart of I:DJI
DOW 17,773.64 -57.12 -0.32%
S&P 500 2,065.30 -10.51 -0.51%
NASDAQ 4,775.3580 -29.9330 -0.62%

Free Reports

Top Rated Stocks Top Rated Funds Top Rated ETFs