MORRISTOWN, N.J., March 11, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Jersey Central Power & Light (JCP&L) has begun its 2014 tree trimming program to help maintain proper clearances around electrical equipment and help prevent tree-related outages. This year approximately $24 million of tree trimming work will be performed along more than 3,400 miles of lines across JCP&L's 13-county service area in northern and central New Jersey.
"As a result of the tree trimming we have done in the past, outages from trees and limbs falling into our lines have decreased, even with the significant number of storms we have experienced this winter," said Anthony Hurley, JCP&L vice president of Operations. "In fact, our system average duration for outages was more than 12 percent better than the same period last year. By continuing this successful program, our goal is to improve service reliability even more by protecting our wires and other infrastructure from tree-related damage."
All work is done by JCP&L's certified forestry contractors including: Aspen Tree Service, Asplundh Tree Expert Company, Davey Tree Expert Company, Jaflo Inc., and Lewis Tree Service Inc.
In March, tree trimming will take place in 60 municipalities in the following counties:
- Burlington – Pemberton Township and Springfield Township
- Hunterdon – Califon, Clinton Township, Glen Gardner, Lebanon and Readington Township
- Middlesex- East Brunswick, Monroe Township, Old Bridge, Sayreville and Spotswood
- Mercer - Hightstown
- Monmouth – Asbury Park, Colts Neck, Deal, Eatontown, Fair Haven, Howell, Long Branch, Manalapan, Red Bank, Shrewsbury and Tinton Falls
- Morris – Boonton, Boonton Township, Chatham Township, Denville, Dover, East Hanover, Florham Park, Long Hill Township, Mendham, Mendham Township, Montville Township, Mountain Lakes, Morristown, Parsippany, Randolph Township, Rockaway, Rockaway Township and Wharton
- Ocean – Point Pleasant
- Somerset – Bernards Township, Bernardsville, Far Hills and Warren Township
- Sussex – Andover, Andover Township, Hampton Township, Montague Township and Sandystown Township
- Union- Springfield and Summit
- Warren – Belvidere, Hackettstown, Phillipsburg, Stewartsville, Washington and Washington Township