3 Ways to Make Employee Reviews Less Terrible
It turns out no employee, even those most motivated to learn, like those critical performance reviews. employment, job reviews, job performance, job performance reviews, negative performance review, bad performance reviews
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Do job performance reviews help? A 2012 study from AccountTemps says 94% of company chief financial officers call formal job reviews either "somewhat or very effective" in aiding employee performance. But only 31% of employees believe the same thing.
It's the employees that may be on to something, according to a study on employee performance reviews in the Journal of Personnel Psychology.
The study, by Kansas State University business management professor Satoris Culbertson with help from researchers at Eastern Kentucky University and Texas A&M, shows that no employee -- "even people who are motivated to learn" -- sees negative performance reviews in a positive light.Culbertson and his staff established some basic sketches of employees based on their workplace performance habits:
- "Learning goal-oriented people" like to learn for the sake of learning and often pursue challenges despite setbacks.
- "Performance-prove goal-oriented people" want to prove they are competent to perform a job.
- "Performance-avoid goal-oriented people" want to avoid looking foolish.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV