NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- If you need proof that we are entering the mania stage of the stock market cycle, look no further than the action in marijuana-related stocks this year.
I know what you're thinking. What serious investor would actually be writing about these stocks?
This is not about the stocks themselves, though, but what growing investor interest in these companies is telling us about overall market sentiment.
In the early stages of a bull market, investors who capitulated during the prior bear market will start to wade back in, usually with high-dividend or defensive stocks. As the bull market progresses and investors become more confident, new entrants are more likely to seek out stocks that are more economically sensitive, such as small caps or cyclicals.In the latter stages of a bull market, new entrants who missed much of the prior rally will inevitably chase whatever has the most extreme recent performance. That is the only way these investors can attempt to catch up to the enormous gains they have grown tired of hearing about from friends and relatives. We are likely entering that stage. With the S&P 500 up over 170% during the past five years, investing in a consumer-staple stock such as Coca-Cola (KO) or Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) isn't going to cut it if your objective is to double your money in a short period of time. You need something with extremely high volatility and a compelling growth story; earnings and cash flow are optional. (PHOT), Hemp Inc. (HEMP), Cannibis Science (CBIS) and Medical Marijuana (MJNA).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV