Updated from 12 p.m. on share reversal.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The alternative fuel sector was setting up for another day of robust gains on Tuesday, but the tides turned for three of the heavy-volume stock plays around mid-session.
Fuel-cell maker Plug Power (PLUG) began to dive just after midday, after following Ballard Power Systems (BLDP), ZBB Energy (ZBB) and FuelCell Energy (FCEL) higher for much of the session. Shortly after, FuelCell and Ballard Power Systems tumbled.
The industry was celebrating a days-long rally in the sector, extended by an above-consensus first-quarter report from FuelCell after the bell Monday.Danbury, Conn.-based FuelCell posted first-quarter revenue 22% higher to $44.4 million. The company reported an adjusted loss of $9 million, or 4 cents a share, compared with a loss of $12.5 million, or 7 cents a share, in the year-ago period. Product sales grew nearly 19% to $34.5 million and advanced technologies contracts more than doubled to $5 million on higher engagement with the U.S. Department of Energy Solid State Energy Conversion Alliance (SECA). Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters had anticipated a net loss of 4 cents a share and revenue of $43.4 million. Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV