NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Ocean Power Technologies (OPTT) soared to a one-year high of $6.54 as of 11:39 a.m. on Tuesday as the renewable energy company, which specializes in the extraction of natural energy from ocean waves, rose as the demand for clean energy increases.
Companies such as Plug Power (PLUG), FuelCell Energy (FCEL) and Ballard Power Systems (BLDP) have repeatedly soared to one-year highs since last week in the wake of Plug Power's deal with Wal-Mart (WMT) to provide more than 1,700 hydrogen fuel cell solutions to power electric lift truck fleets at six of Wal-Mart's North American distribution centers. Plug Power's stock has increased almost sixfold so far this year.
As the demand for clean energy has increased, Ocean Power Technologies has ridden the wave. The stock has skyrocketed more than 225% so far in 2014.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite StocksSTOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV