BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Think utility stocks are boring performance drags you should avoid in 2014? Think again.
After some weak performance at the start of the year, utilities are stepping in front of other sectors from a momentum standpoint in March. That may be surprising for a set of businesses that are more commonly tied to income investors' portfolios than momentum traders' portfolios. But the fact is that investors should ignore utility stocks at their own peril this year. Many of these names look ready to make a big move higher.It is true that trading utility stocks can be an exercise in patience the trading setups in this sector tend to be longer-term trades. But on the flipside, breakouts in utility stocks have longer-term trading implications too. So, which utility names look best-positioned for big moves? Today, we're taking a technical look at five of them . >>3 Big Stocks on Traders' Radars For the unfamiliar, technical analysis is a way for investors to quantify qualitative factors, such as investor psychology, based on a stock's price action and trends. Once the domain of cloistered trading teams on Wall Street, technicals can help top traders make consistently profitable trades and can aid fundamental investors in better planning their stock execution. Without further ado, let's take a look at five technical setups worth trading now.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV