Retirement Dilemma: Live the Life or Save More?
"There is a lot of hand-wringing about the state of Americans' retirement savings, particularly in the wake of large wealth losses during the recent recession," Nichols says. "But the concern is based in part on implausible targets for expenditures in retirement."
Nichols warns of the dangers of saving too much, saying the traditional rule of thumb advocated by many financial planners -- replacing 80% of preretirement income -- is misguided. Instead, Nichols suggests lowering target spending in retirement.
"If one aimed to replace four-fifths of preretirement income in retirement, and saved two-thirds of income for 20 years to hit that target, spending would more than double at the moment of retirement, which is clearly not optimal," Nichols says. "Who wants to double their spending the day they retire?"
Let's say you're 50 years old and you have the money to spend on a trip around the world that you've been meaning to take with your spouse. Should you postpone that trip in order to put more money in your retirement account?"If you're focusing on replacing a large percentage of your retirement income, and in doing so you make uncomfortable and unnecessary sacrifices now, you could lose out," Nichols says. "You don't want to be saving excessively for a future that may never come." A 2009 report by the Brookings Institution and University of Wisconsin-Madison found that most Americans are generally saving enough for retirement. This is in stark contrast to discussions in the popular media and in policy circles that Americans are doing a poor job preparing for retirement.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV