NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- FuelCell Energy (FCEL) managed to ease investors' concerns in its most recent quarter. After the bell Monday, the developer of clean-energy fuel cell reported its first-quarter financials which demonstrated it has been able to stem widening losses and boost sales.
In premarket trading Tuesday, shares surged 18.8% to $4.67.
In the three months to January, the Danbury, Conn.-based business reported total sales of $44.4 million, a 22% year-over-year increase and $1 million higher than analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters expected.
Product sales grew nearly 19% to $34.5 million and advanced technologies contracts more than doubled to $5 million on higher engagement with the U.S. Department of Energy Solid State Energy Conversion Alliance (SECA).The company reported an adjusted loss of $9 million, or 4 cents a share, compared with a loss of $12.5 million, or 7 cents a share, in the year-ago period. FuelCell has managed to limit losses by paring back administrative and selling expenses and reducing system costs by consolidating its plant functions. Earnings were in line with analysts' expectations. The company has been on a tear lately (up more than 100% since last Monday) after fellow alternative energy developer Plug Power (PLUG) announced an expanded contract with Wal-Mart (WMT). The news indicated the use of stationary fuel cells was becoming increasingly mainstream. "We remain on track for closing multiple megawatts of orders and my confidence level is high as we have negotiated contracts for projects where we are waiting on final customer or regulatory approval," said FuelCell CEO Chip Bottone in a statement. As of Jan. 31, FuelCell's sales in backlog totaled $326.8 million. Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV