American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. (NYSE:AEO) today reported adjusted earnings of $0.27 per share for the 13 week period ended February 1, 2014, compared to adjusted earnings of $0.55 per share for the 14 week period ended February 2, 2013. GAAP earnings of $0.05 per share include non-GAAP charges of ($0.22) per share, which are outlined in the accompanying GAAP to Non-GAAP reconciliations. This compares to GAAP earnings of $0.47 per share last year.
The company also announced adjusted earnings of $0.74 per share for the 52 week period ended February 1, 2014, compared to adjusted earnings from continuing operations of $1.39 per share for the 53 week period ended February 2, 2013. GAAP earnings of $0.43 per share include non-GAAP charges of ($0.31) per share, which are outlined in the accompanying GAAP to Non-GAAP reconciliations. This compares to GAAP earnings from continuing operations of $1.32 per share last year. The EPS figures refer to diluted earnings per share.
Jay Schottenstein, Interim CEO stated, “The Company’s results in 2013 were highly disappointing. While tough macro conditions have persisted in our retail sector, our merchandise and overall customer experience fell short of expectations. We’re taking steps to bring greater focus and excitement to our product offering and better engage our core customers. Our brands remain incredibly strong and I’m confident in our ability to execute the strategic plan and resume long-term profitable growth.”
The following discussion is based on Non-GAAP results, which exclude the adjustments presented in the accompanying GAAP to Non-GAAP reconciliations.Fourth Quarter 2013 Non-GAAP Results
- Total net revenue for the 13 weeks decreased 7% to $1.04 billion from $1.12 billion for the 14 week period last year. Consolidated comparable sales for the 13 weeks decreased 7% over the same 13 week period last year. This follows a 4% comparable sales increase last year.
- Gross profit decreased 28% to $332 million and decreased 930 basis points to 31.9% as a rate to revenue. The decrease was primarily the result of increased promotional activity and the deleverage of rent on negative comparable sales.
- Selling, general and administrative expense of $216 million decreased 15% and leveraged 190 basis points to 20.7% as a rate to revenue. Lower incentive costs and a planned reduction in advertising drove the majority of the decline.
- Operating income decreased 52% to $86 million. The operating margin decreased 770 basis points to 8.2%.
- Adjusted EPS of $0.27 compares to $0.55 last year, a 51% decrease.
- Total net revenue for the 52 weeks decreased 5% to $3.31 billion from $3.48 billion for the 53 week period last year. Consolidated comparable sales for the 52 weeks decreased 6% over the same 52 week period last year. This follows a 9% increase last year.
- Gross profit decreased 18% to $1.14 billion and decreased 540 basis points to 34.6% as a rate to revenue, primarily as a result of higher promotional activity and the deleverage of rent on negative comparable sales.
- Selling, general and administrative expense of $789 million decreased 5%, and deleveraged 10 basis points to 23.9% as a rate to revenue. The decrease resulted primarily from lower incentive costs, offset by higher store payroll and corporate salaries.
- Operating income decreased 47% to $234 million. The operating margin decreased 550 basis points to 7.1%.
- Adjusted EPS of $0.74 compares to $1.39 last year, a 47% decrease.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV