Want to improve your credit score? Think like an insider
There's little doubt that Americans with higher credit scores get better deals on core consumer items like mortgages, auto loans and credit cards.
So why do so many U.S. consumers know so little about their credit scores?
According to the Consumer Federation of America, 40 percent of Americans didn't know that credit card companies use credit scores to make decisions about credit approval and interest rates, and another 42 percent didn't know mortgage lenders do the same thing.
And there's more...
- 43 percent of U.S. adults believe age is a factor in calculating interest rates (It's not.)
- 40 percent believe marital status is a factor in credit score calculations (It's not, either.)
- Up to 35 percent of consumers don't know that creditors are obligated to report the credit score used in making a credit decision.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts