700 MHz Spectrum to deliver ultimate video experience to customers over the long-term
TORONTO, March 10, 2014 /PRNewswire/ - Today Rogers Communications announced that it has closed its previously announced concurrent Cdn$ and US$ financing transactions of approximately $2.1 billion. The net proceeds of these financings will be used, together with cash on hand and other available debt, to fund the "beachfront property" - 20 year licenses for two contiguous, paired blocks of lower band spectrum - acquired in the recent 700 MHz spectrum auction.
"We went after and won this spectrum because we know it will pay off for our customers for the next 20 years and likely beyond. Not only did we get the spectrum we wanted for our customers, but we have financed it with $2.1 billion of long term funding for up to 30 years at some of our lowest rates ever, with an average interest rate of just 3.9%. In addition, we have made this long term investment for our customers while maintaining our Baa1/BBB+/BBB+ senior credit ratings, which have been affirmed by each of Moody's, Standard and Poor's and Fitch, reflecting their confidence in the investment and in Rogers," said Anthony Staffieri, Chief Financial Officer, Rogers Communications.
Rogers will invest $3.29 billion to acquire this valuable spectrum that will benefit customers in both rural and urban areas. Owning two blocks of contiguous paired spectrum across virtually all key geographic markets in Canada will allow Rogers to deploy 20MHz of spectrum, resulting in enhanced network coverage and a better mobile video experience.Acquiring spectrum in the lower band will provide additional benefits to customers. Since Rogers' existing LTE devices already operate in the lower 700MHz band, all Rogers customers with LTE devices will be able to benefit from our enhanced networks as soon as the new spectrum is deployed, which will begin rolling out in 2014.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV