NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Vodafone (VOD) was falling 4.2% to $38.25 at 12:27 p.m. on Monday amid reports that India's Union home ministry accused the telecommunications company of secretly sharing subscribers' data with Government Communication Headquarters (GCHQ), a British intelligence and security organization. Vodafone has denied the claim.
The Times of India reported the home ministry claims Vodafone provided GCHQ with "secret unlimited access to their network of under sea cables, which carry much of world's phone calls and Internet traffic," according to documents of the Internal Security Division. "GCHQ's mass tapping operations has been built up over the past five years by attaching intercept probes to the transatlantic cables where they land on British shores...Intercept partners are paid for logistical assistance."
The Union home ministry claimed that Vodafone and Verizon (VZ) "are learnt to be secretly collaborating with UK's GCHQ and passing on details of their customer phone calls, email messages and other communication and are intercept partners".
The Times of India reported that Vodafone, when reached for comment, said "no such concern has been raised with us by the Indian government. The Government of India's approval of our FDI application states that it was cleared by the FIPB and CCEA after all necessary due diligence". Vodafone also denied it had disclosed "any customer data in any jurisdiction unless, like any other operator, it is legally required to do so."
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite StocksSTOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV