This Day On The Street
Continue to site right-arrow
ADVERTISEMENT
This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration.
Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here
Cramer's Action Alerts PLUS - See his portfolio and get alerts BEFORE every trade. Learn more NOW!

Chiquita Shares Climb as Fyffes Merger Makes New Company Top Banana

NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Fruit distributor Chiquita  (CQB) is merging with Irish rival Fyffes in a deal that will create the world's largest banana company.

VIDEO TRANSCRIPT:

Fruit distributor Chiquita is merging with Irish rival Fyffes in a deal that will create the world's biggest banana company worth about $1 billion.

The all-stock deal will result in a company called ChiquitaFyffes with $4.6 billion in annual revenue that employs about 32,000 people.  Chiquita shareholders will own about 50.7% of the combined company, with Fyffes shareholders owning the remaining 49.3%.

The companies said the merger would generate annual cost savings of at least $40 million by 2016.  They added that existing brands will be retained but customers will also have access to a wider selection of products.

Upon news of the deal, Chiquita Brands was climbing almost 12% to $12.13 at last check.

In New York, I'm Brittany Umar for TheStreet.

-- Written by Brittany Umar in New York.

Check Out Our Best Services for Investors

Action Alerts PLUS

Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.

Product Features:
  • $2.5+ million portfolio
  • Large-cap and dividend focus
  • Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Quant Ratings

Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.

Product Features:
  • Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
  • Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
  • A custom stock screener
Stocks Under $10

David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.

Product Features:
  • Model portfolio
  • Stocks trading below $10
  • Intraday trade alerts
14-Days Free
Try it NOW
Only $9.95
Try it NOW
14-Days Free
Try it NOW

Check Out Our Best Services for Investors

Dividend Stock Advisor

David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.

Product Features:
  • Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
  • Updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
Trifecta Stocks

Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutiny—quantitative, fundamental and technical analysis—to maximize profit potential and minimize risk.

Product Features:
  • Model Portfolio
  • Intra Day Trade alerts
  • Access to Quant Ratings
Options Profits

Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.

Product Features:
  • Actionable options commentary and news
  • Real-time trading community
Try it NOW
Try it NOW
Try it NOW
To begin commenting right away, you can log in below using your Disqus, Facebook, Twitter, OpenID or Yahoo login credentials. Alternatively, you can post a comment as a "guest" just by entering an email address. Your use of the commenting tool is subject to multiple terms of service/use and privacy policies - see here for more details.
Submit an article to us!
SYM TRADE IT LAST %CHG
AAPL $126.39 -1.70%
FB $81.17 0.34%
GOOG $575.19 0.32%
TSLA $200.72 -0.85%
YHOO $44.16 0.39%

Markets

DOW 18,135.72 +38.82 0.21%
S&P 500 2,101.09 +2.56 0.12%
NASDAQ 4,982.8090 +15.6680 0.32%

Partners Compare Online Brokers

Free Reports

Free Newsletters from TheStreet

My Subscriptions:

After the Bell

Before the Bell

Booyah! Newsletter

Midday Bell

TheStreet Top 10 Stories

Winners & Losers

Register for Newsletters
Top Rated Stocks Top Rated Funds Top Rated ETFs