CHERRY HILL, N.J., March 10, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- TD Bank, America's Most Convenient Bank ®, announced the results of the TD Bank Financial Education Survey focusing on millennial banking habits, which revealed that these young adults take few risks when it comes to managing their money. In fact, 47 percent of millennials describe their financial personality as being cautious when it comes to overall personal finance habits. The nationwide survey polled more than 2,000 millennials (ages 18-34) about their banking behaviors and preferences, as well as their go-to sources for financial information and advice.
"The results of our study prove that financial education is not only a key component of financial success, but also that millennials want more support with their personal finances," said Nandita Bakhshi, Executive Vice President, Retail Distribution and Product, TD Bank. "Millennials need to feel empowered to reach out to their bank and have their questions answered so they become more confident about their financial futures."
Millennials Mirror Family Banking Habits and Seek Advice from Family Members
According to the survey, millennials are relying mostly on financial institutions and their families for advice.
- 49 percent of responding millennials see their parents as primary influencers in shaping their banking and financial views.
- 40 percent still say they turn to parents and family as a source of information.
- 54 percent of responding millennials are going in to their bank branch for information; 62 percent are going online.
- savings (32 percent)
- creating a budget (30 percent)
- credit cards (26 percent)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV