DETROIT -- William Clay Ford Sr., who helped steer Ford Motor (F) for more than five decades and owned the NFL's Detroit Lions, has died at the age of 88.
The company said in a statement Sunday that Ford died of pneumonia at his home in Grosse Pointe, Mich. He was the last surviving grandson of company founder Henry Ford.
Ford served as an employee and board member of the automaker for more than half of its 100-year history.
The youngest of Edsel B. Ford's four children, William Clay Ford Sr. was first elected to the Ford Motor board in June 1948.The company said in a statement that he was instrumental in setting the design direction for the automaker's vehicles. He bought the NFL franchise a half-century ago. "My father was a great business leader and humanitarian who dedicated his life to the company and the community," William Clay Ford Jr., executive chairman of Ford Motor Co. and Lions vice chairman, said in a statement. "He also was a wonderful family man, a loving husband, father, grandfather and great-grandfather." CEO Alan Mulally said in a statement that Ford had a profound impact on the company. Ford was married to the former Martha Parke Firestone, an heiress to the Akron, Ohio, rubber fortune. Her grandfather, Harvey Firestone, was a close friend of Henry Ford. They had three daughters, a son, 14 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. Funeral services will be private, fittingly for a man who didn't let the public get to know him.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV