NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Fuel cell shares now are behaving like the 3-D-printing stocks of 2013. Shares of Ballard Power (BLDP), like those of its peers FuelCell Energy (FCEL) and Plug Power (PLUG), have soared. In 2014, Ballard's shares have risen by 250% to $5.28.
Ballard Power manufactures and sells fuel cells and provides engineering services for fuel cell applications. A fuel cell is an environmentally friendly electrochemical device that uses hydrogen fuel and oxygen to produce electricity. So far, Ballard Power has designed and sold 150 MW of hydrogen fuel cells.
The recent sector rally can be attributed to increasing optimism due to some new orders, as well as Plug Power's deal with Wal-Mart (WMT). More important, Ballard Power has made significant improvements in its top and bottom lines. The company's shares could continue going higher in anticipation of positive cash flows and break-even earnings in the near future.
Ballard Power's long-term outlook appears bright, as some of the leading automakers have been betting big on the future of fuel cell cars. Furthermore, Tesla (TSLA) could also provide growth opportunities with its expansion plans.
|Revenue (in thousands)||$55,773||$43,690||$61,251|
|Gross Profit (in thousands)||$7,279||$7,369||$16,759|
|Net Loss (in thousands)||-$37,175||-$42,320||-$19,988|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV