5 Reasons Executives Aren't Good People
1. They're not going anywhere
The key reason executives can get away with everything we've listed to this point is that companies have little choice but to keep them.
Their compensation packages are bulky, their contracts are locked tight and their employers are less prepared to jettison them than even their toughest critics might think. A survey conducted last year by IIC Partners revealed that one in every five executives surveyed couldn't be displaced in less than a year.About 16% said their company didn't have a succession plan in place and that it would take up to three years to find their replacement. Another 4% said it would take a company even more time than that to come up with a suitable candidate for their job. That situation becomes more acute for not-for profit firms -- 40% of which would have to take up to a year to replace an executive -- and is similarly trying for family-owned businesses. With that kind of security and just about no safety net for the companies employing them, why wouldn't executives just keep working with complete abandon? -- Written by Jason Notte in Portland, Ore. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jason Notte. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/notteham. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV