5 Reasons Executives Aren't Good People
2. They're psychopaths
OK, maybe not all of them, but about four times as many as the general population.
Psychologist Paul Babiak studied 111-point questionnaires filled out by more than 200 executives and found that almost 4% of those surveyed were considered psychopaths when ranked on the Psychopathy Checklist, which therapists use to assess the personality disorder. Babiak included the findings in his book, Snakes in Suits: When Psychopaths Go to Work, and found that in comparison, only 1% of the general population exhibits psychopathic tendencies.
Basically, they lack empathy and show no remorse for their actions, but disguise the condition by hiding behind their status, turning on the charm and by manipulating or mimicking others. With a happy, well-adjusted childhoods, such psychopaths can function in a workplace rather than channelling their energies in more violent or destructive ways.Their condition actually makes them terrible managers, but makes it easy to cover that weaknesses with charm and convince both superiors and subordinates that they're not so bad after all. There's very little separating a talented team leader from a psychopath, which is worth remembering at the next shareholders' meeting or conference.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV