The headphones maker has been attempting to rebrand its product portfolio as one of prestige by cutting sales to off-price retailers which heavily discount, aggressively enforcing its suggested retail prices online, and strictly controlling inventory levels to prevent surplus stock.
Its executive team also had an overhaul with its CEO and President Hoby Darling only at the helm since last May and its CFO Jason Hodell with the company since October.
The headphones maker posted financials for its year-ending quarter after the bell Thursday and it looks as though its turnaround attempts have taken root.In the three months to December, the Park City, Utah-based business reported net profit of 13 cents a share, compared to analysts' estimates of 9 cents a share, according to Thomson Reuters. Revenue of $72.25 million exceeded consensus of $71.88 million. Though this was 28% lower year on year, decreased sales were in line with previous guidance as the company reined in the outlets it supplies. By market close Friday, shares were up 24.2% to $9.23. Trading volume of 13.3 million was more than 50 times its three-month daily average. Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates SKULLCANDY INC as a Sell with a ratings score of D+. The team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate SKULLCANDY INC (SKUL) a SELL. This is driven by several weaknesses, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and feeble growth in its earnings per share."
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: SKUL Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV