In-Vehicle Navigation Systems
As Kelley Blue Book's Vlasuk underscored, the navigation features that come with the infotainment systems may wind up being as superfluous as the rest of infotainment system for drivers that already own smartphones or Bluetooth devices.
On that note, Vlasuk generally advises against luxury in-vehicle navigation systems. "Expensive integrated in-vehicle navigation systems don't make any sense anymore," he says. "You see them most of the time in luxury makes, so the Audi, BMW, companies like that. You have to spend $2,000 to $3,000 on these things and you really don't get much. Expensive navigation only makes sense for people who don't own a smart phone."
Like the complete infotainment system, Vlasuk sees expensive navigation systems being replaced by the less costly features of Android car integrations and Apple's CarPlay. While expensive, in-vehicle navigation systems also require annual payments to keep the maps current, the navigation systems running on smartphone devices are not only familiar, they're continuously updated for free.Vlasuk says for now, luxury car owners can simply buy an aftermarket mount for hands-free smartphone navigation or use Bluetooth audio-enabled, portable navigation devices for easy turn-by-turn directions while they're still awaiting the full integration of smartphone devices into car systems.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV