Shares of Rio Tinto were falling 2.5% to $53.95.
According to a report from the Daily Mail Rio Tinto is preparing a bid of about $8 a share for Turquoise Hill. Rio Tinto already owns 50.8% of the Vancouver-based company, the bid would be for the 49.2% it doesn't already own.
News of the possible acquisition comes shortly after Turquoise Hill reported issues with its Oyu Tolgoi copper and gold mine in Mongolia. Progress on that project has been held up by Rio Tinto's inability to reach an agreement with the Mongolian government.Must read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Dividend Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TRQ data by YCharts STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV