By market open, shares had added 18.3% to $34.61.
The discount retailer reported adjusted income from continuing U.S. operations of $1.45 a share, a nickel higher than analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters expected.
Net sales for continuing U.S. operations decreased 7.3% compared to the year-ago quarter to $1.57 million. Analysts had forecast revenue of $1.6 million. Comparable-store sales decreased 3% over the quarter, consistent with previous guidance.The wind-down of its Canadian operations cost the company $27 million, or 47 cents a share. Previous guidance was for a net loss of between 65 cents and 75 cents a share. "The favorable result in the fourth quarter resulted from the higher sell-through of merchandise at better margins, lower operating expenses, and the timing of recognition of lease liability charges and certain asset write downs," the company said in a statement. Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Dividend Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates BIG LOTS INC as a Hold with a ratings score of C. The team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate BIG LOTS INC (BIG) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed -- some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, reasonable valuation levels and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including feeble growth in the company's earnings per share, deteriorating net income and weak operating cash flow."
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: BIG Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV