NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Markets narrowly captured gains Friday as investors weighed a better U.S. jobs report for February against rising tensions in Ukraine. Russia said Ukraine must pay almost $2 billion it owed for natural gas by Friday or risk supplies being cut.
The Ukraine government has claimed results of a March 16 vote on Crimea becoming part of Russia would not be valid. Meanwhile, Western governments have pushed to impose sanctions on Russia for its moves in the region.
- The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 0.19% to 16,452.72, while the S&P 500 lifted 0.05% -- a record high -- to 1,878.04. The Nasdaq was down 0.37% to 4,336.22. The Dow, S&P and Nasdaq climbed 0.8%, 1% and 0.65%, respectively.
- The U.S. nonfarm payrolls report for February showed a gain of 175,000 jobs, greater than the 149,000 jobs expected by economists. The jobless rate came in at 6.7% compared with expectations of 6.6%. January consumer credit numbers will be released at 3 p.m. EST. New York Federal Reserve Bank President William Dudley said Friday that improved U.S. economic data of late hasn't been sufficient to halt the Fed's easy monetary policy.
- President Obama and his allies in the EU are working to impose sanctions as punishment for Russia's attempt to take hold of the Ukraine's Crimea region. Germany's DAX was falling 2.01% while the FTSE in the U.K. was off 1.12%. The Hang Seng closed 0.19% lower while the Nikkei jumped 0.92%.
- Big Lots (BIG) surged 23% after it topped fourth-quarter earnings expectations by 5 cents a share. Foot Locker (FL) gained 8.8% after it beat fourth-quarter earnings estimates by 6 cents at 82 cents a share while same-store sales rose 5.3%. Safeway (SWY) shares were 2.2% lower after news of a merger with supermarket chain Albertsons, while Skullcandy (SKUL) shares jumped 24.2% after results topped estimates. Key laggards in the S&P include Peabody Energy (BTU) and Freeport-McMoRan Copper& Gold (FCX), off 5.3% and 4.9%, respectively. GT Advanced Technologies (GTAT) increased 3.1% after Credit Suisse placed a buy recommendation on the shares.
-- By Jane Searle, Andrea Tse and Joe Deaux in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV