NEW YORK (
TheStreet) -- With no advanced warning - and even less fanfare -
(HPQ) has begun selling a new, inexpensive tablet on its U.S. Web site. It's priced to compete with popular tablets from
Barnes and Noble
Dell and especially the Nexus 7 from
Simply called the HP8, this new device is described as "delivering entertainment where you want it", is "sleek and smart with technology you can trust" and "looks sharp with a suit and dynamite with denim".
Shares in Hewlett Packard were advancing 0.53% to $30.25 in New York premarket trading
Here is what you really need to know. The HP8 runs on a China-sourced, ARM-based (ARMH), quad-core, smartphone-capable processor made by Allwinner. A quick Web search shows that company also produced a number of very low cost (under $50) small tablets of its own. The HP8 chip is mated to 1 GB of RAM and also offers microSD card expansion.
The device also sports stereo speakers, comes in any color you want, as long as that color is silver, and weighs 11 ounces.
The HP8 retails for a penny less that $170.
One accessory of note is the $29.99 "HP8 Blue Tablet Case". It protects the screen, ports and back and folds to allow "dual viewing angles". At first glance it reminds one of Apple's (AAPL) Smart Cover/Smart Cases for iPads except the HP version is designed with four folds instead of three.
The Web site states the HP8 Blue Case comes in white, black and blue.
-- Written by Gary Krakow in New York.
To submit a news tip, send an email to email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV