From the 10-K:
Any increase in the prices of the ingredients most critical to our menu, such as chicken, beef, cheese, avocados, beans, rice, tomatoes and pork, would adversely affect our operating results. Alternatively, in the event of cost increases with respect to one or more of our raw ingredients, we may choose to temporarily suspend serving menu items, such as guacamole or one or more of our salsas, rather than paying the increased cost for the ingredients. Any such changes to our available menu may negatively impact our restaurant traffic and comparable restaurant sales, and could also have an adverse impact on our brand.
The great guacamole scare, which purported that Chipotle might be forced to remove the green stuff from the menu, made headlines on Wednesday and was no doubt exacerbated by the drought in California.
Chipotle, however, quickly calmed the fears of guacamole lovers, stating that the warning was just a routine risk factor disclosure, much ado about nothing. Thank goodness the media doesn't react to every risk factor disclosure contained within 10-K filings in the same manner; it would make for some very depressed investors.If you really want to know what's happening in the avocado world, look no further than to the growers and marketers themselves. Limoneira (LMNR), best known for its citrus production, is also one of the country's largest avocado growers, with 1,200 California acres worth. The company reported a 22% increase in avocado revenue and 25% increase in pounds produced for 2013.
LMNR data by YCharts
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV