The Los Angeles Regional Interoperable Communication System Authority (LA-RICS) has selected Motorola Solutions, Inc. (NYSE: MSI) to develop a wireless Public Safety Broadband Network (PSBN) based on 4G LTE to provide mission-critical data communications for the region’s more than 34,000 law enforcement, fire service and health service professionals and more than 80 public safety agencies.
LA-RICS awarded a $175 million contract to Motorola, if all options are exercised, for a five-phase project to design, construct, implement and maintain the LTE network. Motorola will deliver the PSBN solution operating on Public Safety LTE Band Class 14 of the 700 MHz spectrum to provide a shared, region-wide data system throughout the 4,000-square-mile area. LA-RICS is funding the 231-site project primarily with federal grants from the Broadband Technology Opportunities Program (BTOP) administered by the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA).
Motorola’s Public Safety LTE solution supports a host of public safety applications, such as integrated command center applications and other computer-aided dispatch (CAD) solutions, real-time video streaming, tactical collaboration, dynamic mapping and routing, and in-field reporting, as well as optional push-to-talk and location services. The new LTE network will connect the region’s first responders to regional, state and federal agencies during natural disasters and other widespread emergencies.
- The high-speed LTE PSBN will provide mission-critical, public safety data communications for the entire Los Angeles region, enabling first responders to use the latest video, data and other broadband tools to execute their missions more efficiently and safely.
- The PSBN consists of an Evolved Packet Core (EPC) with 231 eNodeB sites operating on Band Class 14, as well as a highly-reliable backhaul network and redundant Network Operation Centers (NOC).
- Motorola is providing 1,000 VML 700 LTE Vehicle Modems for the initial testing of the PSBN. In addition to supporting Band Class 14, the VML700 will provide connectivity to commercial carrier 4G LTE Band Class 13 and to 3G EVDO networks for nationwide wireless data coverage.
- In August 2013, LA-RICS awarded a contract to Motorola to develop an ASTRO®25 radio system that will provide mission-critical voice communications for the Los Angeles region. The Project 25 radio system will provide real-time interoperable communications for the Los Angeles area, as well as with regional, state and federal agencies. Combined with the LTE network, LA-RICS will provide state-of-the-art wireless voice and data communications for the entire region of more than 10 million people.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV