NEW YORK, March 6, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Tripp Levy PLLC, a leading securities and shareholder rights law firm that represents shareholders throughout the nation, announces that it is investigating the acquisition of Safeway Inc. (NYSE: SWY) on behalf of shareholders. It was announced that the Albertson's, which is controlled by private equity firm Cerberus Capital Management L.P. agreed to acquire Safeway. Safeway shareholders will only receive $32.50 per share in cash. Additionally, shareholders will have the right to receive pro-rata distributions of net proceeds from primarily non-core assets worth an estimated value of $3.65 per share.
The investigation concerns whether the board of directors and senior management of Safeway breached their fiduciary duties by not engaging in a full and fair auction and process to sell the Company so that shareholders received the maximum value for their shares. Indeed, analysts have projected that the true going forward inherent value of the Company is worth at least $46 per share, and the Company's book value is over $25.50 per share making this offer significantly less than 2x book value. Further, it was reported that supermarket chain Kroger's was interested in acquiring Safeway for a price higher than $40 per share but that Safeway may have refused to negotiate with Kroger over potential antitrust concerns.
If you are a shareholder of Safeway and would like additional information regarding this matter, at no cost or expense, please contact us at:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV