Pfizer Inc. is voluntarily recalling one lot of 30-count Effexor XR® (venlafaxine HCl) 150 mg extended-release capsules, one lot of 90-count Effexor XR (venlafaxine HCl) 150 mg extended-release capsules and one lot of 90-count Greenstone LLC-branded Venlafaxine HCl 150 mg extended-release capsules.
This action is being taken because of a pharmacist report that one bottle of Pfizer’s Effexor XR contained one capsule of Tikosyn® (dofetilide) 0.25mg in addition to the Effexor XR capsules. Although Pfizer has not received any other such reports, these three lots are being voluntarily recalled as a precaution because they were packaged on the same line.
The use of Tikosyn by an Effexor XR/Venlafaxine HCl patient, where the contraindications and drug-drug interactions with Tikosyn have not been considered by the prescribing physician, could cause serious adverse health consequences that could be fatal.
While there is a very low probability that other bottles of Effexor XR contain a Tikosyn capsule, Pfizer has initiated this voluntary recall as a precaution.Effexor XR is a prescription antidepressant indicated for the treatment of major depressive disorder, general anxiety disorder, social anxiety disorder, and panic disorder with or without agoraphobia. Tikosyn is a Class III (cardiac action potential duration prolonging) antiarrhythmic drug. It is used to treat irregular heartbeats (such as atrial fibrillation (AF) and atrial flutter (AFL)) and to maintain normal sinus rhythm (normal heartbeat) in patients with AF or AFL of greater than one week duration who have been converted to normal sinus rhythm.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV