NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Owning strong companies that distribute above-average dividends when the overall market is moving higher is a powerful way to get free portfolio insurance in case the market takes a breather.
Regardless whether your dividend payers are gaining value, as long as they continue to issue dividends you get paid. Receive enough dividends and your stocks become risk-free cash printing presses once a quarter.
With that in mind, if you can find stocks that pay significant dividends in a bullish trend, you have a recipe to stack the odds in your favor. We don't know what the results will be on any given trade, however, in the same way Caesars (CZR) casino prospers we do our best to gain an edge and let the law of averages work in our favor.
Every week I examine the various characteristics of the hundreds of possible dividend plays. These are my best candidates right now for long-term buy and hold dividend payers based on overall risk, yield, and my outlook on continued appreciation.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV