NEW YORK, March 6, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The Deal, TheStreet's (NASDAQ:TST) institutional business, announced the results of their rankings of the top firms and professionals involved in mergers and acquisitions (M&A) for 2013. According to the data, last year's deal volume – 115 deals of $100 million or more – was on par with the annual average over the past decade, which suggests the sustainability of last year's numbers.
"M&A professionals have come to resign themselves to a halting, sputtering deal market since 2008, and many companies seem to be far more careful in their dealmaking and chary of large transactions than they were before the world almost fell apart that year," said David Marcus, Senior Writer for The Deal. "And yet, various sectors have reached new highs in deal activity, including oil and gas in 2011 and 2012 and real estate last year."
League Table highlights:
- Top law firms included Kirkland & Ellis LLP with 89 total deals; Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP with 66; Latham & Watkins LLP with 60; Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP with 57 and Jones Day with 44.
- Top law firms representing investment advisers included White & Case LLP with 44 total deals; Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP with 20; Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP with 19 and both Alston & Bird LLP and Greenberg Traurig LLP with 17.
- Top Delaware law firms included Richards, Layton & Finger PA with 65 total deals; followed by Morris, Nichols, Arsht & Tunnell LLP with 47 total deals and Potter Anderson & Corroon LLP with 24 total deals.
- Top investment advisers included Goldman, Sachs & Co with 96 total deals; Bank of America Merrill Lynch with 80; JPMorgan Chase & Co. with 79; Barclays Capital with 71 and Morgan Stanley with 65.
- Top proxy solicitors/information agents included Georgeson Inc. with 44 total deals; Innisfree M&A Inc. with 37 total deals and MacKenzie Partners Inc. with 18 total deals.
- The top public relations firms were Joele Frank, Wilkinson Brimmer Katcher with 79 total deals; Sard Verbinnen & Co. with 60 and Abernathy MacGregor Group Inc. with 46 total deals.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts