By midday, shares had added 13.6% to $22.44.
The apparel retailer posted net income of $1.01 a share in the three months to January. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters had forecast 99 cents a share.
Revenue was 5.4% lower year over year to $499.41 million, less than estimates of $510.36 million.For the full year, per-share earnings of $1.22 a share was higher than consensus of $1.11 a share, while revenue of $1.63 billion fell short of estimates of $1.64 billion. The Houston-based business said it expects current-year earnings between $1.35 and $1.45 a share and revenue in the range of $1.64 billion to $1.67 billion. Analysts forecast earnings of $1.38 a share and revenue of $1.71 billion. Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Dividend Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates STAGE STORES INC as a Hold with a ratings score of C+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate STAGE STORES INC (SSI) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed -- some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. Among the primary strengths of the company is its solid financial position based on a variety of debt and liquidity measures that we have evaluated. At the same time, however, we also find weaknesses including a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself, deteriorating net income and disappointing return on equity."
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: SSI Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV