NEW YORK (The Deal) -- France's Vivendi late Wednesday said it had received two offers for its Societe Francaise de Radiotelephone, or SFR, cellular unit and would now allow its supervisory board to evaluate the approaches, one of which may spark similar regulatory concerns to pending telecom takeovers elsewhere on the Continent.
Paris-based Vivendi said Numericable Group, along with its Altice parent company, and SFR rival Bouygues have submitted offers, helping Vivendi focus on entertainment content and bringing a Europewide phone consolidation to France.
"Vivendi's supervisory board will now examine these offers. It will consider all options available regarding the future of its subsidiary and the group, in the best interests of employees and shareholders," the company said.
Vivendi has been slimming down to focus on entertainment assets including Universal Music Group and broadcaster Canal Plus. It had hoped to list and hand SFR to shareholders through a 12 billion ($16.5 billion) spinoff. However, strong interest from companies hoping to gain bulk to better compete against incumbent Orange raised the option of a sale.Bouygues, of Paris, said its offer values SFR at 14.5 billion. The deal would give Vivendi 10.5 billion in cash as well as a 46% stake in the expanded Bouygues/SFR. It's already lined up financing with JPMorgan Chase (JPM) and seven other banks, according to the Financial Times. Meanwhile, Numericable and Altice, backed by French billionaire Patrick Drahi, were planning to bid 14.8 billion. That deal would include 11 billion in cash and a 750 million capital injection raised through the sale of new Altice shares. Altice would also fold in 3 billion in Numericable cable assets. Ultimately Vivendi would have 32% of the expanded Numericable, a source said earlier this week.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV