NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Staples (SPLS) shares are plummeting during Thursday's session after the office supplies retailer reported lower quarterly earnings and sales and that it will close more than 10% of its total store count over the next two years.
By noon, the stock had plunged 14.3% to $11.49.
In the three months to January, the company posted per-share earnings of 33 cents came in below analysts' estimates of 39 cents a share, according to surveys by Thomson Reuters.
Revenue saw a 10.7% year-over-year decrease to $5.87 billion, missing estimates by $93.1 million. Comparable store sales fell 7% over the quarter.The Framingham, Mass.-based business guides for first-quarter earnings between 17 cents and 22 cents a share. Analysts had hoped for 27 cents a share. The company also said it will close 225 stores, or 10.5% of its total, by the end of 2015. Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Dividend Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates STAPLES INC as a Buy with a ratings score of B-. The team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate STAPLES INC (SPLS) a BUY. This is driven by a few notable strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its compelling growth in net income, attractive valuation levels, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, impressive record of earnings per share growth and increase in stock price during the past year. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows low profit margins."
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: SPLS Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV